15 December 2016

Down the Rabbit Hole - Fabric Selection

Sarah Fielke's new 2017 BOM 'Down the Rabbit Hole' will start at the end of January.
Details are here  https://www.sarahfielke.com/pages/block-of-the-month-2017


I am really enjoying working on the 2016 BOM 'Happy Days' in my Liberty fabrics and so of course I have signed up for 2017!

The nice thing about these BOM programs is that they are pattern only, we are all free to chose any fabrics we like - perfect for my stash diet! Each month there are instructions and videos by Sarah demonstrating the process, and a very friendly Facebook group where we can all share progress.

The fabric requirements were posted today, and it's a perfect quilt for scraps. I have had great fun raiding my stash this morning!  I have also indulged in an early Christmas present to myself and bought a piece of gorgeous Liberty Tana Lawn to fussy cut. Isn't it fun? It's called  'Gallymoggers' which I think means 'crazy' and comes in different colours, this is cream.


I have tried to pull scraps using colours from this feature fabric to avoid the quilt looking like a dogs dinner! I love scrappy quilts and really admire people who can seemingly throw anything together and have it turn out great. That never happens in my experience, I need to have some sort of plan - either a theme like my Liberty quilt or a set colour scheme.

I will use the same background throughout the quilt, which I think will tie it all together, that way I can go a little off-piste with the scraps. I have an unnamed white cotton that is big enough and a bolt of Kona Cotton in 'Snow' bought on sale. I am leaning towards the Kona as it is a lovely soft cream


I find my Jinny Beyer palette tool really helpful when selecting colours as the swatches are actual fabrics. I have selected the colours that are in my feature fabric. This is on the white b/g

and on the Kona 'snow'

I have pulled anything that I think will work, this may look like a lot of fabric but all of these pieces are less than a FQ

I have also raided my scrap bin - I keep anything bigger than 1" square, so lots of variety here :)


While I am waiting I will keep working on the appliqué for the 2016 BOM 'Happy Days'



4 comments:

  1. I love the bolts of solid fabrics too and always keep some on my quilting shelves - it is so nice to have a good cream or snow or bright white on hand - as soon as I get down to the last couple yards I order more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to watching this one grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sense your excitement to be planning this gorgeous pattern!! Interesting to read how you are gathering your bits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun!! I love to watch your progress on these quilts! Did you know Rifle Paper Co. is putting out an Alice themed fabric collection in the spring? I love her design work. Anyway, have fun!

    ReplyDelete