03 November 2014

Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red

On Sunday my husband and I went up to London to see the poppies at the Tower of London. It is the most incredible and moving sight. The installation 'Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red' was created by ceramic artist Paul Cummins to commemorate the 100th anniversary of World War I. There will be 888246 individual ceramic poppies placed around the moat of the tower, each one representing a British fatality during WWI. I am trying to work out if I can interpret one of my photos into an embroidered piece.



















11 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! This is just incredible! What a tribute to those that served!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how beautiful - the very first photo you show could be made into a quilt - in fact I have seen something like it but not sure where and I don't remember if it was poppies -- what a remembrance this is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful and so touching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This must be so affecting..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just so beautiful thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the pictures. I would love to see this in person -- I'd heard about it ages ago and so wish I could go see it. This is the next best thing. I appreciate your sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so so much for sharing Elaine these photo are incredible and what a shock it was to realise there were so many as that killed. Seeing all those poppies in mass like that makes you realise how many family lost some on. Hugs Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen it only on TV, but even so, it is a quite incredible sight. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yours are the first photos that I have seen of this wonderful art memorial .Thankyou for sharing . It is something to meditate on isn't it ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing, every time I see a pictures. Quite stunning and full of emotional impact. How wonderful to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete