04 February 2014

Hexagons and Lozenges

I have finished hand piecing the hexagon block, it is amazing how much you can get done while 'watching' TV! I ended up needing 54 hexagons instead of the 30 odd called for in the pattern as mine are 1" not 1 1/4" I am quite happy with how they turned out, and it meant I got to include even more of these fun fabrics...


I will definitely use THIS method again.
I also finished the two lozenge blocks
I decided to machine piece these from squares, which worked out much quicker than making templates.

Each block is made up of four units. For each unit I cut one 3 1/2" square and two  2" squares
I drew a pencil line diagonally across each of the smaller squares
and carefully lined up the corners and then stitched on the line
pressed the small square over
and trimmed the seam allowance to 1/4"
I then did the same on the opposite corner, chain piecing the units to speed things up even more
The units were joined in pairs and then fours to make the two blocks needed

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful! You seem to make these blocks in a snap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun!! The fabric is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is looking gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. those lozenge blocks are another idea that I can use to get through this huge popcorn tin of 2 1/4 inch squares that was given to me. They look pretty neat.
    I'm planning on giving hexies a try for the first time next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elaine it sure looks like you are having fun on this quilt. Love those wee hexagons. Happy stitching. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't do hand work, so I haven't bit on the hexi bug but your choice of fabrics make it tempting. I love 30s repro. Your little tutorial is great. I swear I am going to organize my scraps this year. That looks like a good use for them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elaine--Your hexagons are lovely--those fabrics are so charming! They all work well with each other! :)

    Would love for you to stop by tomorrow and link this up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
    -Lindsey
    Fabric Frenzy Friday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those colours do go together wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great method and love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darling prints went to two fabulous projects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those prints. The hexagons are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just read through your last few posts about making these quilt blocks. I find the whole process absolutely fascinating! It's not a craft I do but I do enjoy seeing other people making quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What lovely blocks! I love the fabrics you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your blocks are so much fun! and the fabrics are cute!!

    ReplyDelete