16 August 2013

Crazy Planning

I have always admired Victorian Crazy Quilts, I love the madness of them and the over the top embellishment and embroidery details. I bought this wonderful book last year and have spent hours reading and studying it, and Allie's blog.
Now that I have completed my first embroidery course, I feel confident that I can tackle a crazy quilt piece of my own. I discussed the idea with Sophie before we broke for the summer and agreed that I would piece the background during the holidays, and she would then teach me all the embroidery stitches I need, when we start class again in September. I want to start small with 4 x 8" blocks featuring the wedding photos of myself, parents, in-laws and all four sets of grandparents. When we visited on Tuesday my mother-in-law very kindly sent me away with the photos from her own wedding. My mum sent me her wedding photo too :) along with one of me as a baby (top left)
I have spent all afternoon scanning photos :) and playing with special effects. Don't my grandparents look very formal and serious?!
I love the sepia tones of these photos and think the colours will work much better with my chosen palette than the black and white images of my parents & in-laws wedding photos
I need to play around with my photo software and print everything in sepia tones I think. I have some paper backed silk that can be fed through the printer that I will use for the actual piece. These are just draft copies on paper so I can check size etc.
I want to have a sort of family tree arrangement, I need to try smaller photos I think. I have already bought some silks for the patchwork which I will combine with some cottons I have.
 I also have a box full of threads and lace etc for the embellishment along with some beautiful silk ribbon and beads.
I am really excited about this project and can't wait to get started! I have been browsing the internet studying images of crazy quilts and all the fabulous details. I just need to figure out how to print the photos onto my silk :) does anyone have any experience of printing photos onto fabric? This is the product I have bought, it is not cheap and I don't want to waste it :) any advice gratefully received!

8 comments:

  1. She has a class on Craftsy right now Crazy Quilts and I have been listening to the class - I don't know when/if I will ever get started on one of my own - I think it is the same book that you show that comes free as an e book with the class. It is interesting and she shows in detail how to make the stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours you have chosen for the threads and embellishing. I look forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting project, I will also enjoy following following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be an heirloom project for sure! I'm looking forward to seeing it develop. I hope you can figure out how to print the photos. I have no clue how to do such things. Good luck1

    ReplyDelete
  5. O, this sounds interesting!!! I look forward to see the next part! You will enjoy this, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an interesting project, Elaine! I love going through all my old family photos. It was amazing how back in the day they all seemed to be dressed up every day :) This will be such a treasure, I can't wait to see how it works up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a crazy quilt my great grandmother made out of scraps of clothing. Her husband who was a ship's captain designed the entire quilt down to the intricate stitching between pieces of fabric, and she made the quilt to his design.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/crowbelle/9528543987/

    copy that URL above and you can see it

    Good luck. I love the idea of the photographs but have never made a quilt so can't offer any advice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a fascinating project. I can't offer any practical advice but will cheer you on as you make it!

    ReplyDelete