28 July 2013

Christmas in July

One of the many things I loved about living in Norway (we lived in Stavanger from Dec 1997 - Aug 2000) was the way the Norwegians celebrate Christmas. I learned to quilt in Norway from a wonderful group known as 'The International Piecemakers'. So when I saw the pattern 'Scandinavian Christmas' by Lynette Anderson a couple of years ago, I had to buy it.
Of course I wanted to start it straight away, but I could not find fabrics that would work, I had trouble finding some nice Christmas Reds. Christmas that year came and went and I put it aside. Then two years ago, this time while living in Holland I found the perfect linen, some Japanese Taupes and some French General Reds (and so began my love affair with all things French General!)
I even planned to use the embroidered ribbon in place of the cross stitch. Christmas was fast approaching along with the news that we were on the move again, this time back to the UK. Everything was packed away once more and remained so until last week. Our local quilt group had a 'Christmas in July' meeting; now I normally refuse to think about Christmas until after my birthday at the end of November, but as I had been roped in to help with the demos, I began to think - what if I started a Christmas Quilt in July ?! I might have one made by Christmas - Duh!... I know lots of organised quilters do this already!

So I cut the pieces for the first block, and organised all my supplies etc. Love Entwined is my main focus project while at home, but I plan to work on this at Friday morning quilt group. Who know's if I will finish for Christmas 2013, but at least I have made a start!

6 comments:

  1. Fun fun! I love your choice of fabrics and all. I love French General too! Good idea to start a Christmas quilt in July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually make Christmas items because I refuse to think about Christmas in July!! What size is that wall hanging it is cute and old fashion looking. I am of course working on too many things right now and need to finish up a few things so that I can really get into Love Entwined more - I haven't gotten done with part two and three will be here before we know it. if it is small I might get it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like fun. I tot am looking for projects to work on between my main focus with LE. Right now I am doing easy bright picking but perhaps a Christmas project will be next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started a few Christmas projects at Christmas, but they never quite got finished, so July (or maybe August) might be a good time to get them out again. Your Lynette Andersen project looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely pattern. You will have fun with that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Christmas pattern :D It'll be a lot of fun to watch you work on it. I am never organized enough to work on Christmas before Halloween! So I decided to embrace my self-style and once Halloween rolls through, that's when I work on my Christmasy quilt stuff. I put it all away again when the kids go back to school after New Year's. I'm looking forward to this year's season - I have 3 Christmas tops ready to be quilted now, so I can pin a couple of flimsies up as wall decorations and work on one's FMQ for a complete Christmas-quilt finish FINALLY this year. ;D

    ReplyDelete