13 March 2013

Freezer Paper Foundation Piecing

I love the accuracy you can get with foundation paper piecing, but I really dislike removing the paper at the end! When I heard about a method using Freezer paper that doesn't involve sewing through the paper I thought I would give it a try. I decided to practice using a Dear Jane Block and I love it! I thought it would be a good idea to do a little tutorial so you can try it too.

First you need to trace your block pattern onto the dull side of a piece of freezer paper; number the sections and cut them apart; score lightly on the lines between numbered sections (take care not to rip the paper)
Fold back the line between sections 1 & 2 and iron the glossy side of the FP pattern to the wrong side of your chosen fabric for piece 1, the piece should be at least 1/4" or more all round
Using the FP as a guide, trim the seam allowance to 1/4" away from the fold
Line up your number 2 fabric right sides together and stitch carefully along the edge of the fold. DO NOT stitch through the paper! Extend your stitching by about 1/4" each end beyond the fold.
Press the FP back in place from the back and front to press the seam; fold back number 3
Trim seam allowance to 1/4" as before
Keep adding and trimming pieces in order until you have completed the section, you can see here how I have extended my stitching beyond the marked areas - don't worry if it looks messy!
Using the FP as a guide, trim all seam allowances to 1/4" - leave the FP in place
Use the FP to help line up seams and piece the sections into rows and then into a block, you can remove the paper when the block is complete - and re-use it if you wish :)






3 comments:

  1. Interesting. I'm going to bookmark this and try it. Thanks. Love your new blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to know there is ANOTHER way. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial. Maybe when I pluck the courage to give quilting a try I will look back at it.

    ReplyDelete