06 January 2013

SDW Sampler SAL Week 10

I have had very little time over the Christmas holidays for stitching ;( I have been busy cooking and spending time with the family which I love!
Here is were I got to at the end of last week...


And this afternoon...

I did sit down after lunch to work on this beautiful sampler, but my threads were in such a mess that I have spent the time trying to sort them out instead!
Why is it that as soon as I start to use a skein, I end up with a tangled mess!? The AVAS silks are lovely to stitch with but too expensive to waste! I pulled out some Floss Away bags that I had and a needle organiser, will see if that helps me control things!
How do you organise threads for a project?


7 comments:

  1. I love this sampler!!! Seeing it on your blog and the SL blog makes me want to ake a look at it once done with Rebecca Robinson.....

    You ask a good question.... I have all my threads in floss away bags, then put in numer order on an O clasp.... Portable, organized, and by all means, not wasting any of those threads!!!! Way too expensive for me to not be careful..... I do like your per threaded needles.... A time saver I am sure.... I may need to check into that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful stitching! I use Floss-A-Way bags for all specialty fibers I just put them on a ring, organize them first by brand, then alphabetical by colour name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sampler and you are making progress despite the tangled threads. I use floss away bags and keep them in numerical order on a large DMC metal ring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lately, I have been organizing all my floss on bobbins and putting them all in floss away bags. They are numbered in order on a 9.5" split lock binder ring. Now I'll have all my DMC floss organized and will pull them out as I need to. When I do pull them out, depending on the amount of colors I need for a pattern, I'll either put them on smaller binder rings (the 3" ones) and if a large amount of floss, will put them in a floss box for that project.

    Right now I have two of the split lock rings. One is for the Blanc, Ecru and numbers 000-500's, the other will be for 600-3000's. I find it has eased my mind from keeping track of where all my DMC floss it.

    Hugs and Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to mention that I loved your SDW- this pattern is also on my wish list! :)

    Hugs and Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops not split lock binder ring - it's a screw lock ring.

    Hugs and Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice progress! I find thread holders (the thingies with holes...) work well for me.

    ReplyDelete