28 December 2012

Easy Street Mystery Clue 6

This week we have the easiest clue so far, no sewing! (well for me anyway) Bonnie uses a scrap management system that cuts leftover fabrics into usable sizes e.g. 2" strips; this week we had to sew two strips together and then cut 3 1/2" squares. This step would be really fast and easy if you already have pre-cut strips, but as I don't follow Bonnie's system, I like to leave all of my scraps as large as possible for as long as possible! I decided that instead of cutting strips and sewing and then cutting again, I would just cut the squares from as large a selection of creams as I could find.  The finished design will differ from Bonnie's original, but I have already changed all the colours and have some units sewn upside down - I don't think this new deviation will really matter!
I ironed my scraps on top of each other in groups of five...
And then cut the squares...
I didn't quite manage 128 different fabrics, but near enough...
I then stack everything in sets of ten...
And pop them into zip lock bags with a note on the clue number and contents. Someone commented that I am very organised with all my labelled bags, it's because I am so disorganised that I need to do this lol! The first Bonnie mystery I did was total chaos! I spent so long looking for the pieces from previous clues and remeasuring squares etc that I found the whole top assembly really stressful. This time round I am determined to be better organised and to keep up! Next clue due New Year's Day.

4 comments:

  1. I was thinking about doing this, too, Elaine. I don't have 2" strips already cut, either, and when there's so little variation in my creams it seems a shame to cut strips then resew. I don't start projects on Fridays, so I'll consider this until tomorrow. Thanks for sharing what you're doing!
    Nancy from joy for grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a logical alternative and will surely provide lots of variation in the neutrals. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of doing squares instead of the pieced blocks, but in the end decided to do it the way the clue reccomended. The nice thing about Bonnie patterns is that they still look good even if you change things a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of doing squares instead of the pieced blocks, but in the end decided to do it the way the clue reccomended. The nice thing about Bonnie patterns is that they still look good even if you change things a bit.

    ReplyDelete